Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Life!!!!

It is -2 degrees outside, snow every where, but I can't help but dream about the spring and planting a garden. Every year I have grand plans of vegetables, herbs and gorgeous flowers...but every year there seems to be something that hinders those grand plans, whether it be pregnancy, new baby, illness, extreme heat, and busyness. Last year I think I accomplished the most and really cleaned out my perennial bed, did some transplants, and grew some herbs. I love to garden, I love the smell of the dirt, the satisfaction of putting something in the ground, caring for it, and seeing the result. Fresh flowers in the house, pungent herbs spicing up our food, bees and butterfly's galore...aaaahhhhh!
Growing up in the southwest Spring was very different than it is in the Midwest. Often the winter felt like spring with 50-60 degree weather, plants that don't die completely, and grass that stays kinda green all year long. While all of that is not bad, I don't think I truly learned to appreciate the Spring until I moved to the Midwest. When everything is covered with snow for up to 5 months, and the ground is frozen and nothing is green, Spring brings a whole new life. One of my absolute favorite things is to see the tiny little crocus' sprouting up from the ground, sometimes even before the snow is all gone! Then you start to see the tulips, and the perennials start their ascent. Oh how I love Spring!!!
I am amazed at how incredible our world is. God reminds us of his power, his gentleness, his unfailing love, and his glorious gift of new life through his creation. So while I am sitting here wrapped up to keep from being  cold, I can dream about the garden I will plant, and thank my Heavenly Father for his amazing creation!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your background. I too love Spring and I am ready to start getting outside again.
    I hope this year I will be diligent enough to have a garden. I always have some excuse.

    ReplyDelete