Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Break in Birthdays......Thank Goodness

We just celebrated the last birthday of the year in our family this past Sunday. Thank goodness too, when you have 7 people in your family it can seem like all you do is celebrate birthdays. Please don't get me wrong I love Birthdays, in fact I love making a big deal about birthdays, it's the one day that is just yours.
We started a tradition last year for birthdays that Daddy takes the special birthday person out to lunch wherever they want to go, it's kinda funny because our girls all seem to copy each other, but this time our oldest daughter told me that next year she is picking a different place, because she wanted to be different. It's fun to see their individuality coming out.
I have also started the tradition of having balloons tied to their dinning room chair the morning of their birthday. I have realized how much they have come to rely on this. I hope I never forget, I will have some pretty disappointed kids:) We also have window markers, and I only use them on birthdays, all over the window is decorated with birthday wishes, this a fun thing for them to do for each other.
I am always searching for new and fun traditions to implement to make their day special. No matter how old you are everyone likes to have their own special day. It doesn't take much to make them feel special.
One of my favorite things to do for them is the baking of their cake, they usually decide what they want and I TRY to execute it. This year I made a bathtub with rubber duckies in it, faucet and all, a Dora decorated round cake, and my personal favorite, a guitar. I am getting more confident in my ability and starting to really look forward to it.
I think the most favorite of traditions for our kids is the pinata. We have bought some and we have made some, either way they are the favored activity at their parties. I think we have begun to master the birthday party, I am always in charge of the cake, the drinks, the decorating and the prizes. My hubby is in charge of the pinata, and games.
I think we are going to put an age limit on parties though, it is getting quite expensive. We are going to have to come up with something good this coming year, our oldest is turning 16 in January.
At least we get about a 4month break before we start all over again.

2 comments:

  1. You're such a good mommy! What awesome traditions your kiddo's will have to pass on to their own babies;)

    Love ya, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Gosh. I so understand the birthday thing. we are so mean we don't even do friends anymore for the parties. I told the kids that they have sisters for a party without friends. This way is even expensive because I set it up as if we were having a real birthday party.

    I am glad you get a break for a while.

    ReplyDelete