Friday, August 22, 2008

Thank you God...

So the other day I was looking at homeschool curriculum, let me tell you if anything is overwhelming that is. I really don't know how I decide on curriculum every year. I have decided to homeschool year round, so we really don't have a start, and stop time, just breaks in between. The girls are definitely ready to start up a routine again. Our son has been doing school off and on all summer, so it won't be a big change for him.
The hard part is that he is going into 10th grade, and I am so overwhelmed with what to use, and how to teach it. You see, I dropped out of high school, and while I was there I was not paying attention. So needless to say I feel very incapable of teaching this age. I have been praying about it lately, just wanting to make the right decision. All the while the little thoughts of "you can't do this", " you're stupid", " you didn't even finish high school" creeping into my head. I know exactly where these thoughts are coming from, but that doesn't take away the intensity of them. I know God is bigger than all of that, but what if it's true, what if I am not qualified to teach him. And you know what an awesome God we serve, he always knows how to deal with his children. He gently reminds me of all the teachers that are not following him and those that choose to live a lifestyle that does not honor God. They may have many credentials and are skilled teachers, but they can not teach my children how to love Jesus, like I, their mother can. That is why we homeschool, I believe that teaching them about God and living for him is the most important thing and then after that, academics come.
I am thankful of the plethora of choices for curriculum, without them homeschooling would be much harder. I am thankful that we have the right to choose to homeschool, and I am most thankful that my God knows exactly what to speak to my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! I feel the same way every year. I didn't drop out, but I graduated by the skin of my teeth and don't remember much from my high school days.

    You are soooo right. God knows exactly what to speak to my heart and exactly when I need to hear it. Homeschooling is about so much more than academics. I, too, am thankful for the choice and know that God will provide everything else!

    Love ya, sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not looking forward to those Highschool years and trying to figure out what to teach. But I do know that God has called us to this so he will take care of those final decisions if I just listen to him.

    ReplyDelete